Applications for a Firearm (Section 1) or Shotgun (Section 2) Licence is handled by your local police authority. Click on the links for Dorset and Hampshire based applications, where you can view the criteria, approximate timescale and documents required for your application. If you live in another region of the UK, you should visit or check with your local police authority for their application form.
Apart from your personal details you will also need:
- Information about your GP surgery and specific doctors name, as they will be contacted about the application.
- Details of any previous convictions (including speeding but not including parking offences or fixed penalty notices) or written warnings by the police.
- The calibre and type of firearm or shotgun you wish to acquire, as well as the amount of ammunition you want to store (it's important to get this right before applying, please contact us if you require advice on this section)
- Referee details, which should be someone that has known you for over 2 years and is not a member of you family.
- Security / Storage information for how you intent to store your firearm if the application is successful. If you're unable to secure a cabinet at home, contact us to discuss storage arrangements.
- Payment information for the Licence fee, which varies among the police authorities.
Each authority may vary the actual procedure for applying and verifying the information, so the process after applying may vary.